Subject: Re: You bet them UVWs WORK!
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 13:27:57 -0800

Tom Rennen wrote:
=====
"I just edited 2 commercials, as well as shot them for Black and Decker for
the last ABC Monday Night Football of the season. I edited them on 2
UVW1800's and they looked great."
=====
I have a combination of UVWs, PVWs and U-matics.  I often record to a UVW1800
and I agree with Tom - the footage looks great...even down to third or fourth
generation dubs via component I/O.  I have done single frame recording
(Lightwave anims) with a UVW1800, and have had no problems in the past 2
years.  The only time I've ever seen "dirt" on something I recorded was when
I played a non-SP (oxide) Betacam tape using a UVW 1800 as a source machine,
and recorded to another UVW 1800 - the result was "grainy".  Sony recommends
that you not use non-SP tapes in the UVWs.  The programs I have edited using
UVW 1800s in the mix have been (and are being) broadcast nationally on PBS
(stringent tech requirements) as well as internationally (even more stringent
tech requirements).  IMHO the UVW1800s are sweet little machines.  True, the
casings are light, they have no jog/shuttle knob, and they only have 2
channels of audio, but in an edit suite with an audio mixer and edit
controller, who cares?  I am getting excellent results with my UVWs.  As far
as extensive (24 hrs/day - 7 days/wk) single frame recording - I've had
serious animators recommend MIIs over BVW BetacamSP decks because they felt
the MIIs held up much better, and were more cost efficient. 

Betty
{{{{{ Earthwave Productions Inc. }}}}}
"Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes" -- Ralph Waldo
Emerson